Prior to bringing our motor down to the boat, we assembled the motor to the frame, clamped it to the workbench and connected the batteries to test it. Now that we had a complete running electric motor, the next step was to prepare our sailboat engine room for our new electric motor.
Removing the Engine - We removed all of the engine hoses, and cables as well as the 4 bolts to the engine mounts. (We did need to cut one bolt off which was under the water pump because it was rusted) Next, we screwed in eye bolts into the head of the engine in the place of 4 of the head bolts, to assist the lifting process. (This helped to prevent the engine from tipping when being lifted.) We then sailed our boat over to the boat yard and they lifted the engine out with a crane in just a few minutes. We do not recommend attempting to remove your own engine without professional help. The cost for this lift was only $150 at our local boat yard. Much less than the cost of visits to the Chiropractor!
Cleaning and preparing the Engine room for our new Sea-EV.
Once the engine was removed, we removed the old hoses and old gas tank. (This was really helpful in making extra space) We kept the throttle cable in place for the new electric motor. Next, we cleaned the engine room with a marine grade detergent and painted it with white bilge paint. The engine room was now ready for our new Sea-EV Marine Electric drive.
Installing the new motor was much easier than we expected, first we installed the four batteries and secured them down in battery boxes, where the old gas tank use to be.
Next, we mounted the charger to the bulkhead.
We needed to remove the old prop shaft coupling and replace it the stainless coupling for our drive shaft. The old atomic 4 coupling was rusted to the prop-shaft and required a three-jaw puller to separate it form the shaft. The puller was purchased at an Auto parts store for $30.
Next with the adjustable frame we just slid in the assembled motor lined it up with the prop shaft, adjusted the pitch and side angle just a bit and tightened the coupling and mount bracket screws.
Once we had the screws tightened we spun the pulley to make sure there was no binding in the shaft. If there was we would have readjusted the angle or pitch, but it wasn’t necessary, we got it right the first time. Next, we drilled four holes into the engine bed and screwed in four large lag screws to secure the motor.
Next we wired the batteries to the motor, connected the throttle and on/off switches and put them on the operator panel.
Now our electric sailboat “Sparky” is enjoying the quiet clean maintenance free motor.
You can get your own
Electric Sailboat conversion at
Southern California Electric Yachts